What the German Packaging Act means for you

The 2019 Packaging Act (VerpackG)

The 2019 Packaging Act (VerpackG) requires business sellers to license the packaging for their products and register with the LUCID database when they sell items to customers in Germany. From 1 July 2022, we are legally obliged to make sure that our sellers are complying with the regulations.

This law forms a part of sellers’ Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR), which is a series of measures aimed at protecting the environment by improving waste management, limiting the use of landfills, and stimulating innovation in recycling. The 2019 Packaging Act applies to all businesses selling goods in the German marketplace, both domestic and international. To be compliant, you’ll need to license and register your packaging when you sell products in, or into Germany, including product packaging, shipping packaging, and any filler materials used.

To help you make the adjustment as smoothly as possible, we have partnered with Lizenzero, an experienced solutions provider. For full details of the process and a comprehensive range of packaging support services, we recommend that you contact the team.

Visit Lizenzero

What you need to do
  • License your packaging. A licensing fee will be required and our partner Lizenzero offers a straightforward solution using Interseroh+. Get started here. 
  • Then, you’ll need to register with the LUCID database. Enter the name of your dual system and packaging quantities into LUCID to receive your LUCID ID number.
  • Add your LUCID ID number to your eBay seller account and you’re ready to go.



Does all my packaging have to be licensed?

Yes, the Packaging Act applies to all packaging placed on the German market. All companies, including SMEs, are now legally required to license their packaging.

When do I need to license my packaging?

Licensing needs to be completed in advance, based on an accurate estimate of the quantities that will be used during a given licensing year. This is valid from 1 January to 31 December.

Why do I have to pay my dual system a licensing fee?

Your licensing fee pays for the disposal and recycling of your packaging from the point of sale to the time it is disposed of as waste.

What is the Central Agency Packaging Register?

The Central Agency Packaging Register (ZSVR) oversees compliance with the Packaging Act by maintaining the LUCID database. As LUCID is a public-access register, compliance can also be checked by third parties. Dual systems provide regular updates of customers’ licensed packaging quantities to the ZSVR. If irregularities or deviations should occur, the ZSVR can issue official warnings, impose fines or ban sales.

Do I need to include any licensing logos on my packaging?

No, this is no longer required.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay!

eBay Southeast Asia